Year 10 English
English is a mandatory subject for the award of the year 10 RoSA. Through the study of English students learn about the power, value and art of the English language for communication, learning and enjoyment. Developing proficiency in English enables students to become confident communicators, critical and imaginative thinkers and lifelong learners. Students develop their language skills through activities involving speaking and listening, reading and writing, and viewing and representing. They learn about language and literature through working with a wide range of print, spoken, visual, media, multimedia and digital texts.
Some examples of units that may be studied:
- 'The Power of Persuasion' – Advertising and Media Texts
- ‘Will the Thrill' – Getting to Know Shakespeare
- ‘The Moral Dilemma' – Novel Unit
- ‘The Language of Discrimination and Prejudice' Film Study with related texts
- ‘Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' – Appreciating Humour in Texts